Sunday, January 22, 2012

Want to be break dancing, not breaking down

So today wasn't the best day for me. My mental health overall during this whole process has been really great. Today, not so much.

I seem to forget that I had surgery just over 2 weeks ago. Major surgery. Not just a little cut I can put a band-aid on, but serious surgery that requires this amazing thing called HEALING.

I had these great plans that I would be back to work next week, totally off pain medication, running marathons, baking brownies (because I do that so often?) and many other crazy ideas in my head. My body on the other hand has totally different ideas. I am having a hard time reaching up to the shelf to grab a coffee mug. I cringe when I see my adorable baby boy running to give me a hug because I am quickly trying to figure out how to cover my very sore upper body so as not to get hurt. Sleeping hurts. Lifting things hurts. Washing my hair hurts(which would explain the week long ponytail I have been sporting). Sometimes just walking hurts. I know that I am healing well, that's what the doctors tell me. And I know that because I am in shape, that healing will come faster and easier. But i need to get it through this apparently very thick skull of mine that I STILL NEED TO HEAL.

So after a great conversation with my boss (me sobbing, her being wonderful), I am taking next week off to heal rather then trying to go back to work. I will put my oh-so-sweet baby boy in daycare everyday and lay on the couch or the bed and try to will this stubborn, thick skull of mine to chill out.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. Healing properly is important - you don't want to end up back in the hospital. Take it easy, girl. You've been through a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, I hope things are going ok for you. Been a while since you posted and the last post looks like you weren't feeling very positive. Please email me if you would like someone to talk to, vent to. You can find my email on my profile on my blog. I am still waiting for the results for my BRCA test, so still stalled here. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete