Tuesday, November 22, 2011

January 5th 2012

Well I have my official PBM surgery date...January 5th 2012.

My visits with the surgeons were surprisingly great. I felt extremely comfortable with both doctors. The plastic surgeon, Dr. S, was very confident that due to my good health, being in shape, and young (ish) age, that I would have really good results with the reconstruction. I am also glad to announce that I am a good candidate for the one step-straight to implant  procedure which I am hoping will mean a quicker recovery time. It also means I won't have to have several trips to the plastic surgeons for fills nor a second surgery to place the implant. Very excited about that!  I have chosen to have silicon implants rather then saline. Dr. S talked about the pros and cons and I decided I wanted the silicon for the more natural look and feel. I actually got to hold one and feel it. It is odd. Squishy. I will not be doing the nipple sparing mastectomy, but rather am choosing to have those removed as well. They are breast tissue and even though the risk would be low in keeping them, I figure if I am going to make the decision to do this surgery to reduce my risk as much as possible, then those suckers have to go! Besides, the plastis surgeon said he could make me some great ones, better then mine now :) Gotta find the pluses!


The breast surgeon, Dr. B, was also very encouraging about everything. He feels confident that he will be able to remove enough tissue to change my percentage of getting breast cancer from 90% to possibly below 1%. UNBELIEVABLE.

After a morning of feeling sick and anxious, I finished out the day feeling encouraged and even more confident about my decision.

So today when the scheduling nurse called to tell me that my pre-op day will be Jan. 3rd and my surgery day will be Jan 5th, I didn't feel scared. I felt like I was making a huge positive step into enjoying many pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks, drinking martini's with my husband for anniversary's to come, planning future vacations with my family and friends, toasting champagne at weddings...my son's. I am making a huge positive step for eveything in my future.

And to think, all along these wonderful future adventures, I will have great looking, perky "foobs" (fake boobs)! Pluses are everywhere, just gotta look.

3 comments:

  1. Kim how many doctors have you talked to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're outlook is very very inspiring to me Kim. I'm sure you have day's that don't feel so great, but you've really taken all this news and applied positive action to it. What a great life lesson! You inspire me and I pray for you daily! Love you and miss ya'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Kimmy, no one can accuse you of NOT doing your research. I am glad you have found the peace and strength to move forward. I will continue to pray for you and Matt and little TATE!!! Always here for you. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete