Monday, February 6, 2012

I work out

Going into week five has proven to be a good time in my recovery process. My pain level finally went down from constant achiness to not needing ANY kind of pain medicine for three days now! It is a fabulous thing to not be in constant pain. It does wonders for my mental health too. And of course the best part of all, I have been able to rock my baby to sleep twice now.

I have set an appointment with the plastic surgeon for nipple reconstruction on the 28th of this month. Part of me is happy to get it done and out of the way and the other part is thinking " ugh, more surgery." The crazy part about this surgery though is I can actually watch! That's right, I am awake and aware the whole time. And apparently it only takes about 20 minutes per side. Gotta love the advances of medicine. Custom made nipples in under an hour.

Now that I am feeling better, I have also managed to start working out again. Slowly of course. Tonight was my first time changing at the gym in quite some time. I wasn't really thinking about anything until I started taking off my shirt and then I froze. Several thoughts flew through my head. One, how cool is it that I was feeling so well I hadn't thought about the fact that I have giant, healing scars on my chest. And two, what am I doing?! I have giant, healing scars on my chest!! I realized I had two choices. I could bravely rip off my shirt or I could turn and face the wall. Now I feel I have been pretty brave during all of these recent adventures and I would love to say that I proudly ripped off my shirt not caring what anyone thought. But I slowly turned towards the wall and finished changing.

It's okay though. Because I then went in and had a great workout and went home to hold my baby. Besides, I will need to save some of that bravery for the 28th!

5 comments:

  1. So glad to read how well you are doing!! Happy for you that life is getting back to normal and very encouraging for me. I have an appt with a surgeon this week. Hoping to get my process going here! Tired of waiting. Hope your next appt goes well. I am going with nipple tattooing after reading a few blogs and seeing pictures. I'm much older than you, 51 and thinking I'll be happy with that. Good luck to you and again, thank you so much for your blog. It has helped me sooo much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,
    Found your blog on FORCE and it looks like your experience has gone well. I read your posts and maybe I missed it, but what type of surgery did you have? I would like to know if there is a surgery that cuts around the areola (like nipple sparing) but they take the nipple tissue too. I would like to know what type of nipple reconstruction you are having...what are they going to do to reconstruct? I am 37 and BRCA2 postive and starting to look for surgeons. Also, thank you for the picture of the drains. I have only seen a drawing and your picture was helpful!
    SMMARTideas.blogspot.com SMMARTideas@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're sexy and I know it!!! Jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle yea!!
    ~ love your hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim,
    Hope you are getting in some more good work outs and rocking those babies to sleep. Moms are awesome!
    Thanks for all your help!
    Lia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim-

      I just found your blog through some of the other blogs I've stumbled onto through FORCE. I enjoyed reading bc we have a lot in common (I have two small kids (3 and 5 mo.) I just started my own blog and you'll see I am behind you on my journey so its nice to see where I am "going".

      donotworryaboutme.blogspot.com

      Look forward to reading more :o)

      Delete